April 7, 2011
MAKE MY DAY – SURPRISE ME
Presented by: Linda A. Barnes, Executive Director
Many of you have contacted my office regarding issues of concern. I have provided a few brief responses to your questions.
• Cancellation of Administrative Civil Service Exams - City managers have been quite concerned regarding the cancellation of all Administrative civil service exams. Based upon our discussion with DCAS representatives, DCAS is currently reviewing its methods for testing managerial capabilities. We do not know what this entails at this point, but MEA President Stu Eber and I will be meeting with DCAS senior leaders to obtain more details regarding this matter. We will provide you with updates as we receive them.
• Unionization of HHC Assistant and Associate Director Titles - These titles have been petitioned by Local 1180 and the Organization of Staff Analysts (OSA), but no final decision has been reached. Surveys are still being disseminated to HHC networks, and interviews will be conducted after each HHC facility is surveyed. This is an extensive process and a final decision is not imminent.
• MEA Communication –If you are not receiving notification from MEA regarding meetings or other events, it is quite possible we have not received updated contact information from you. Recently, you received a letter from us requesting that you update your information. Please take the time to complete the form and return it to the MEA office. Managers at the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene have an extended dated of May 31, 2011 to return their completed forms.
• The next General Membership meeting will be held June 9, 2011 at 6:00 p.m., at 125 Worth Street, 2nd Floor Auditorium. You will receive notification in the mail very soon. During prior meetings, I included surprises for you, but this time I would like you to make my day and surprise me. Demonstrate to me MEA members know how to come out in support of their own organization.
• We will be conducting an informational session at Bellevue Hospital on Tuesday, April 12 from 12 noon through 2:00pm. Last year, the managers at Bellevue were outstanding. They showed up and increased their managerial strength with new membership. Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC) currently holds the leading record of 530 members. To present date, no other City agency has been able to defeat HHC’s membership position. We look forward to meeting with the Bellevue managers.