RETROSPECTIVELY SPEAKING - A LOOK BACK AT 2011
• New York City Managerial Employees Association President Stu Eber and Executive Director Linda Barnes successfully forged improved collaborative efforts with City Hall and agency executives. We met with Comptroller John Liu, Deputy Mayors Cas Halloway and Linda Gibbs, New York City Housing Authority Chairman John Rhea, Department of Education Chancellor Dennis Walcott, Health and Hospital Corporation Senior Vice President Nancy Doyle, Parks and Recreation Commissioner Adrian Benepe and Department of Citywide Administrative Services Commissioner Edna Wells-Handy. A consistent theme throughout all these meetings was their willingness to listen to our issues and to begin to address them. Primary topics on our agenda were based on our “About Town” informational meetings in the field with our members: salary compression, excess work hours, city time, performance evaluations, layoffs and demotions.
• During our “About Town” visits, we connected with managers throughout the City of New York at more than 39 locations. MEA team will be returning to your professional homes in 2012. We will be providing more new and relevant information. When the message is received via your email or posted to your bulletin boards, please attend the informational session Click on the News tab on this web site to see the upcoming schedule of visits.. Within the next few weeks, we will add a new feature to our web site to help you stay connected with our schedule.
• Recruiting new members and retaining current members is an ongoing goal. We recruited 350 new members and our membership grew from 2312 to 2592 in 2011.
• We began rolling out our Voluntary Insurance Program (VIP) in 2011. All MEA members can purchase expanded dental and optical benefits while active employees can purchase short term disability insurance and expanded life insurance without a medical exam. We plan to hold informational sessions on VIP throughout 2012.
• We expanded our Pension Counseling Program in 2011. MEA members now receive unlimited counseling sessions from the Civil Service Retired Employees Association.
• We hosted a festive Holiday Event for our members on December 19, 2011. Almost 300 members and guests joined us for a wonderful evening of enjoyment. We recognized the students and parents of the Scholarship Award Program and we presented the Outstanding Achievement awards to Director at Large Joel Fishelson and Recording Secretary Michelle Centeno for their service to our members and the MEA.
• We changed the way our members apply for our once in a lifetime scholarship awards. Realizing that individuals plan their educational goals throughout the year, the Organization Committee made the application process ongoing rather than once per year. Our growth and development is based upon continually re-evaluating the needs of our members.
• We made our debut into the world of social networking. The NYC MEA is now part of the LinkedIn social networking. This achievement is very exciting for us, and we are so eager to connect with our members and hear what they have to say. You can click on the LinkedIn logo on our web site Home Page.
• The NYC MEA is now a Toastmaster’s Chapter. Toastmasters International is a non-profit organization developing public speaking and leadership skills through practice and feedback in local clubs throughout the world since 1924. If you’re interested in joining our chapter, contact Travis Tucker at 212-964-0035.