February 24, 2pm-4pm –From Economic Crisis to Economic Democracy: Lessons and Strategies from the Black Communities - Community and Worker Ownership Project Forum
- In honor of the birthday of W.E.B. Du Bois, who amidst other great accomplishments, authored,Economic Co-operation Among Negro Americansin 1907, we will explore the stories, struggles and successes of workers who have taken control and bettered their lives, through the cooperative history of African-American communities, and ask how we can apply those lessons to contemporary struggles locally and around the globe.
- Learn more and RSVP at https://murphyinstitutue_economicdemocracy.eventbrite.com
February 25, 10am-12pm – Civic Engagement and Leadership Development
- This is the first of a 10-week series of sessions led by Murphy Institute faculty as well as practitioners in civic engagement, politics, the history of mass movements and public policy making. Participants will learn to engage in the democratic process and to actively participate in electoral, legislative and civic activity.
- Learn more and register athttps://jsmi-civicengagement2017.eventbrite.com
- Registration Deadline is February 17th, 2017
April 7-8 – Organizing 2.0
- A skills sharing conference for community activists and organizers to develop skills in online organizing, digital strategy and use of online tools.
- Registration will open on Friday, March 3
April 28-29 – Law Enforcement, Unionism and Communities of Color
- The Murphy Institute is bringing together academics, activists, students, and practitioners to pose crucial questions concerning the criminal justice system and the labor movement’s place and responsibility within it. This two-day conference is designed to wrestle with the complex and interlocking dynamics of race, class, and law enforcement unionism.
- Registration will open later this spring onhttp://murphyinstituteblog.org/academic-conference/
May 3-5 – Radical Film Network NYC: A Global Gathering
- An international gathering of activists, artists, makers, distributors, exhibitors and academics to discuss the future of politically-engaged, aesthetically innovative film culture around the world, as a lead up to the 2017 Workers Unite! Film Festival.
- Learn more and register athttps://radicalfilm_globalgathering.eventbrite.com