YOU’VE GOT TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT
Presented by: Linda A. Barnes, Executive Director
We received several comments of positive feedback regarding the NYC MEA Spring General Membership meeting held on June 3, 2010. Members of the Executive Board provided strong support in attendance. A different spin was added to this meeting, and MEA members learned quite by surprise, that similar to the Lotto, “you’ve got to be in it to win it” with the MEA too. In honor of member appreciation, we awarded the following prizes.
• Prize #1 to Peter Early, HRA, for being the first person to sign in (MEA office set of pen, letter opener and key chain, plus a tote bag).
• Prize #2 to Lisa Yee, Retirees Chapter, for being the newest member in attendance (movie tickets for four).
• Prize #3 to Rita Shah, Department of Health, Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), for long-standing membership support of MEA (dinner for two).
Get to Know Your Rep
Several MEA members have told us they do not have a connection between themselves and the NYC MEA. Yes, you do. Each mayoral and non-mayoral agency is assigned a Chapter Director who functions as the liaison between you, the MEA and your agency. The chapter directors are also members of the NYC MEA’s Executive Board, and they bring your concerns to the board meetings for full resolution. Please take a moment to click on the “About Us” section of this website. Click “Chapter Directors/Reps” on the left side, and you will see the name of the Chapter Director, as well as Assistant Chapter Director elected by your chapter agency. If you are not familiar with your rep, do not hesitate to reach out and connect with them. Please note there have been some recent changes, and the representative for some locations are currently vacant. If you are interested in fulfilling this role, please contact Executive Vice President Shelly Shulman or Organizational Chairperson Joel Fishelson.
The Next Round of Activities
The Retirees Chapter meeting will be held on June 15, 2010, at 11:00 a.m., at 50 Broad Street, Suite 1101.
Bellevue, the NYC MEA will be visiting your professional home on June 17, 2010, from 12:00pm. until 2:00 pm. By now you should have received informational flyers providing you with the details.
We extend our sincere gratitude to Woodhull Hospital for welcoming the NYC MEA into their professional home. When we visited Woodhull Hospital on June 8th, we were not certain how the show of support would be reflected. More than 45 participants (members and non members) showed up to provide a welcome. Managers at Woodhull not only showed up, they stood up. Those who were not members of the NYCMEA took advantage of the opportunity to enroll and increase the strength in numbers while we were on site with them. Bellevue, try to top that. YOU HAVE BEEN CHALLENGED!
Telling You Something Good
The NYC Managerial Employees Association extends congratulations and best wishes to the following members:
• Congratulations to Ms. Tina Ramsey, MEA Executive Board member and DCAS manager for winning a Perfect Attendance award at the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) Employee Recognition ceremony on June 9, 2010.
• Best wishes to Assistant Commissioner Sarah Freeman, Department of Homeless Services, upon her retirement. Ms. Freeman will retire on June 18, 2010, after providing more than 30 years of dedicated service as a City employee.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU:
June 5th We are late, but sometime it is better late than never. Belated birthday wishes to our MEA President, Stu Eber.