January 5, 2011
Dear MEA Members,
The NYC Managerial Employees Association (MEA) is very pleased to offer its members opportunity for career development with the presentation of an educational program that focuses on government administration and policy essential to the delivery of public services. The program is geared at enriching the knowledge and improving the skills of New York City managers; and at the same time increasing potential for career advancement. MEA in cooperation with the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) Citywide Training Center is offering tuition reimbursement to members enrolled in the Spring 2011 Semester of the Public Administration and Public Policy Certificate Program (Program) at The Murphy Institute of the City University of New York. Classes for undergraduate and graduate programs are held once a week at The Murphy Institute located at: 25 West 43rd St., Manhattan, or DCAS:
2 Washington St., Manhattan.
Tuition reimbursement is for the Spring Semester of 2011. Reimbursement will be fifty percent (50%) of the tuition fee for one and possibly two Program courses per student member a semester. Requirements to qualify for tuition reimbursement:
• Be an active MEA Member working in New York City government.
• Write a 250-word essay explaining why you are interested in the Program, and how you will benefit from the Program.
• Enroll in the undergraduate or graduate Program.
• Selection will be made by the MEA based on essay evaluation, and on active MEA membership seniority.
• Successful completion of one and possibly two Program courses with grades of B or better.
Upon receipt of an official transcript indicating a B or better grade, tuition reimbursement shall be granted. Limited numbers of slots are available.
The two Program levels offered are Undergraduate and Advanced Level 1 (graduate). See below.
Note: Advanced Level 2 (post graduate) has been discontinued.
1. The Undergraduate Certificate in Public Administration and Public Policy Curriculum provides students with a solid background in government, the policy-making process, and public administration. To earn the Certificate, students must have a high school diploma or GED and complete four courses for a total of sixteen credits.
• Undergraduate Tuition is $205.00 per credit or $820.00 per course.
• Upon successful completion of one and possibly two courses a semester with grades of B or better, MEA will reimburse its Member $410.00 per course for a maximum of $820.00.
2. The Advanced Certificate in Public Administration and Public Policy, Level 1 Curriculum will provide students with a deeper understanding of such topics as public management, the administrative decision-making process, diversity, training and staff development, and union-management relations. To earn the Certificate, students must have a bachelor’s degree and complete four out of five courses for a total of twelve credits.
• Graduate Tuition is $325.00 per credit or $975.00 per course.
• Upon successful completion of one and possibly two courses a semester with grades of B or better, MEA will reimburse its Member $487.50 per course for a maximum of $975.00
Please indicate your first and second choices for course selections on the “Public Administration and Public Policy Course Selections: Spring 2011” form. This form, the MEA Application for Certificate Program in Public Administration & Public Policy, and your essay should be submitted to the attention of: Ms. Sadie Culler, NYC Managerial Employees Association, 42 Broadway, Suite 1945, New York, N.Y. 10006. Ms. Culler must receive this information by the close of business on Wednesday, January 27, 2011. Submissions can be made by mail, facsimile (212 964-6458) or hand delivered to the MEA Office. Please contact Mr. Padraig O’Donoghue, Admissions Counselor for The Murphy Institute at: (212) 642-2068 in order to complete The Murphy Institute registration process. For further information including course descriptions and application forms, please visit the MEA web site: WWW.NYCMEA.ORG or contact Ms. Culler at 212-964-0035.
Classes start January 31, 2011.
Career development of our Members is very important and MEA is pleased to offer this Program that provides opportunity for enrichment of your abilities. We look forward to receiving your applications and essays. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!
Stuart D. Eber
President, NYC Managerial Employees Association
Darrell L. Sims
Chair, MEA Compensation and Professionalism Committee
KNOWLEDGE STILL REPRESENTS POWER
Submitted by Linda A. Barnes, Executive Director
January 7, 2011
Each year, the New York City Managerial Employees Association offers its benefit of 50% tuition reimbursement to members. We understand that in this continually downward economic climate, our members are placing more emphasis on enhancing their academic skills.
Please take the time to review the information presented on our website regarding the undergraduate and graduate degree opportunities offered by the Murphy Institute/CUNY. educational programs.
The skills you gain towards continuing education can help support and further enhance career advancement. Please note a specific deadline date is implied, and you will need to act quickly, in order to take advantage of this fantastic program.
For your convenience, we have included specific contact information.
MEA Certificate Program Reimbursement Application Form
Public Administration Certificate Program FAQs - How to apply
Registration Form Public Admin - SPRING2011
Public Administration Undergraduate and Graduate-SPRING2011