MEA members and/or their child/dependent are eligible. Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited Undergraduate, Graduate, or Certificate Program which is not funded by his/her NYC agency or by the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS).
Applications for 2023 are now open. Deadline is August 31.
Submission of an application means you have read all the eligibility requirements.
Application for managers, LINK HERE.
Application for dependents, LINK HERE.
Information about the MEA Scholarship Program is listed below.
MEA members and/or their child/dependent are eligible. Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited Undergraduate, Graduate, or Certificate Program (Doctoral programs are not eligible) which is not funded by his/her NYC agency or by the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS).
- MEA member will be able to receive a scholarship twice within a five-year period. Awardees can receive only one award per calendar year.
- MEA member applicants must complete the electronic application and upload all required documentation through open enrollment available at any time during the year. The Scholarship Committee will provide notification generally 30 days after receiving your completed application package.
- MEA member applicants who are planning to attend an MEA approved CUNY Program (Graduate or Certificate), should apply under the MEA Tuition Reimbursement Program not the Scholarship Program.
MEA Members | Eligibility and Required Documents
- Must be an active MEA member whose payment of dues is up to date as of June 30, 2023.
- Must be enrolled in a program for advancing his/her professional and career development.
- Current resume.
- 250-word essay describing your professional goals and how you plan to utilize your education to advance your career development. Applicants must show relevance to their current career and employment as a NYC manager.
- This essay is critical towards the review and approval of your application.
- Verification of college/graduate school enrollment or Certificate Program registration for applicable school term.
- Child/dependent applicants must complete the electronic application and upload all required documentation by August 31, 2023. Submission of incomplete or late applications will be rejected. The Scholarship Committee will notify you of their determination in November. Award winners will be given further instructions to furnish proof of registration from the accredited school or institution in which the selected applicant is enrolled before MEA releases the scholarship award.
- A child/dependent can receive a scholarship award once.
MEA Child/Dependent | Eligibility and Required Documents
- Must be the child/dependent of a parent/guardian who is an active MEA member or retired MEA member whose payment of dues is up to date as of June 30, 2023.
- Must have been accepted for full time enrollment at an accredited college or community college, university or a graduate school that leads to a degree.
- Must be 26 years old or younger as of July 1, 2023.
- Must obtain signed consent of the MEA member parent/guardian on the application form.
- High school or college transcript.
- Must be available for a five-minute video interview to be scheduled. You will be provided with the 3 questions you will be answering during the video interview. The 3-questions that will be shared with you when the MEA Office contacts you to schedule the interview. Video interviews will be scheduled in September 2023. You will be rated on your professionalism and your responses to the three questions.
- Must submit a250-word essay introducing you, your unique background, interests, and personality. Include information related to why you chose your field of study and how it led you to select the college/university you want to attend. Describe your extracurricular activities; leadership positions held or being a role model and/or community service performed; and explain how the scholarship will help you achieve your educational goals.
- Verification of college/graduate school enrollment for applicable school term.
- Here are some video interview tips to assist you on the day of your video interview:
- Find a quiet, private well-lit place, free from possible interruptions from excess noise, family members, pets, etc.
- Ensure your internet connection is stable
- Check that your computer’s audio and camera are working
- Close any unnecessary web browser tabs and applications
- Dress professionally
You will be notified by e-mail if you are a scholarship winner or not.
When you are notified by e-mail that you are a scholarship winner, you will have 7 calendar days from the date of the notification to submit the required documentation. If the MEA Office has not received the required documentation timely, you and your parent/guardian will receive only one reminder notification to submit the required documentation within an additional 7 calendar days from the date of the reminder notification.
Failure to respond timely or by the reminder notification, the MEA will rescind your scholarship award. If your scholarship award is rescinded, you will no longer be eligible to receive the award. However, you will be able to apply for a scholarship award next year.