New Yorkers, you may now be eligible to receive a second booster of the COVID-19 vaccine. The CDC has recently recommended a second booster for individuals who are:
- over 50 years old
- between 12 and 49 years old and immunocompromised
- between 18 and 49 years old and received Johnson & Johnson as their initial vaccine and booster
Beginning four months after getting the initial booster dose, you may choose a second booster from either Pfizer or Moderna, regardless of the version you originally received. Those who were recently sick or tested positive should wait until the end of their isolation period.
The guidelines for your booster appointment as found on nyc.gov are as follows:
- Check that you have proof of age.
- Complete the New York State COVID-19 Vaccine Form before your appointment.
- Reschedule if you are not feeling well on the day of your appointment.
- Wear a mask to your appointment. You will not be admitted to the site without one.
Currently, boosters remain free of charge and can be found in many local pharmacies and state-run sites (check out a list here). Be sure to bring your vaccination card with you, and be prepared to stay for around 20 minutes for monitoring after the shot.